Animal health certificates for pet travel

Taking your pet on holiday overseas can be a wonderful experience for you both, but it does take some organising. At Southill Vets, we can provide the necessary health checks, animal health certificates and any export health documentation your pet requires to travel overseas.

Contact us to book a travel consultation


Pet travel requirements

At Southill Vets, members of our Veterinary Team hold Official Veterinarian (OV) status, which is a requirement to be able to issue animal health certificates (AHC) and other documentation for pet travel around the world.

Travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland

You should begin the process of obtaining the necessary pet travel paperwork at least 4 weeks before you are due to leave. Post-BREXIT, you can no longer use a pet passport issued in Great Britain (England, Wales & Scotland) for travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. You can, however, still use a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland.

When travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, your pet needs:

  • to be microchipped
  • an Animal Health Certificate (or a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland)
  • tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta, and for entry back into Great Britain (it must be given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you enter GB).

These requirements also apply to assistance dogs. You may need to produce your pet’s documents on arrival.

You can find rules for repeat trips and travelling with more than five pets on the Government’s travel advice site:

Travelling to a non-EU country / Rest of the World

We recommend that you research the requirements for exporting your pet to a destination outside of the EU well in advance of your travel dates. For some countries with strict requirements, you may need to start preparing for your pet’s trip eight months in advance.

In order to take your pet to a country outside of the EU, you will need to get an export health certificate (EHC), and complete an export application form (EXA) if you are in England, Scotland, or Wales. The export health certificate checks that your pet meets the health requirements of the country you are travelling to – you must nominate an officially recognised Vet who will be sent the EHC to complete during the required health check. The EHC and EXA forms for each country and pet will tell you how to apply.

Contact us to book a travel consultation



Strictly Necessary

These cookies are required for our website to operate and include items such as whether or not to display this pop-up box or your session when logging in to the website. These cookies cannot be disabled.


We use 3rd party services such as Google Analytics to measure the performance of our website. This helps us tailor the site content to our visitors needs.


From time to time, we may use cookies to store key pieces of information to make our site easier for you to use. Examples of this are remembering selected form options to speed up future uses of them. These cookies are not necessary for the site to work, but may enhance the browsing experience.


We may use advertising services that include tracking beacons to allow us to target our visitors with specific adverts on other platforms such as search or social media. These cookies are not required but may improve the services we offer and promote.

Change Settings

Welcome. You can control how we use cookies and 3rd party services below

Change Settings Accept
Learn how we use cookies