Emergency pet care in Wincanton
Emergency contacts within normal hours
Always call first in an emergency
Depending on the emergency, you may be asked to attend our Wincanton or Gillingham surgery where we have extensive diagnostic and surgical facilities.
Our team will advise what is best when you call – please make it clear that it’s an emergency, and you will be offered an appointment on a priority basis. We will do our utmost to attend to your pet as quickly as we can.
Normal office hours (Wincanton): 8.00am – 6.00pm
Wincanton Surgery: 01963 33226
Gillingham Surgery: 01747 835333
Try to keep calm so you can be the most help to your pet.
Animals pick up on human emotions so if you are stressed, it can make them more stressed.
You will also need to give information to our team, carry out their advice, and transport your pet to our clinic.
Call us straight away for advice and our team will let you know if you need to travel to our Wincanton surgery immediately, or if a daytime appointment is the better course of action.
Not all pet health emergencies come from obvious trauma and open wounds. The conditions below also require emergency veterinary treatment:
- Acute severe lameness
- Animal bites & stings (snake bites, insect stings near the eyes or airways, bites from other pets)
- Breathing problems
- Eye problems
- Flystrike in rabbits & guinea pigs
- Loss of appetite or thirst (rabbits & guinea pigs especially)
- Opens wounds with significant blood loss
- Significant weakness or collapse
- Swallowing hazards (toys, food, socks, string etc.)
- Swollen abdomen or retching (particularly in large dogs)
- Poisoning from plants, foods, drinks, and other toxic substances (some poisons can be ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin)
- Trauma such as road traffic accidents, falls, or crushing injuries
- Urination problems (particularly in male cats)
- Vomiting and/or diarrhoea for more than 24 hours, especially if depressed
If you are concerned about your pet’s condition, even if the problem isn’t on this list, contact us right away.
Emergency contact out of hours
OUT OF HOURS, CALL 0845 450 5506
We provide our own 24-hour service out of hours for clients at our Wincanton Surgery.
Our location: Southill Vets, The Surgery, Balsam Fields, Wincanton, Somerset BA9 9HE
Daytime telephone: 01963 33226
You can also call our branch surgery numbers (above) out of hours and will be given our out of hours emergency number.
Emergency care at Southill Vets
We believe that every pet deserves access to emergency care day and night, and that continuity of care and convenience are important in these situations. This is why we provide our own out of hours service at our Wincanton Surgery, available to our clients 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. See our emergency contact details above.
Should your pet require emergency treatment or close monitoring, you can rest assured they will be cared for by highly experienced and skilled Vets and Nurses. Our team have decades of experience between them when it comes to treating acute illness and injury, and we have a range of fast diagnostic aids on-site including digital X-ray and ultrasound.