Why is pet insurance important?
Unfortunately, accidents occur, and illnesses are part of life. Being able to choose the treatment option your pet needs rather than what you can afford at the time can make all the difference.
Specialist veterinary surgeons, investigations, and treatments at a referral centre can cost several thousand pounds, but could be vital for your pet’s condition.
At Southill Vets, we believe pet insurance is an important part of being a responsible owner, and a wise investment. Pet insurance can give you peace of mind that you can choose the best treatment for your best friend.
We can do direct claims with certain pet insurance providers. Contact our friendly Reception team if you need to make a claim and to find out more.
Pet insurance benefits
Pet insurance mainly provides cover for veterinary fees should your pet become ill or sustain an injury. However, some policies include other benefits such as:
- Third party liability cover if your pet injures someone/damages someone’s property
- Receive the price you paid for your pet if they are lost, stolen, or die due to injury/illness
- Receive the costs of a pet carer if you must go into hospital for emergency medical treatment
- Receive the cost of your holiday if it’s cancelled due to your pet needing emergency surgery close to the date you were due to leave
- Receive the cost of emergency veterinary treatment for your pet if you take them abroad under the Pet Travel Scheme
- Payment for treatments such as physiotherapy and other supportive therapies
Types of pet insurance
As a veterinary practice, Southill Vets are unable to recommend any one individual insurance company, but we can advise on the different types of policies out there.
Lifetime/Lifelong Cover (for as long as you renew)
- Typically offer a claim amount per condition per year/annual amount for all conditions
- The pot refills every time you renew
- Typically provide ongoing cover for long-term conditions such as arthritis, heart/kidney problems, and skin diseases
Maximum Benefit Policies (Individual Condition Cover)
- Claim a maximum amount per condition without a time limit
- Conditions are excluded once the maximum limits have been reached
12 Month/Annual Policies
- These cover a condition for 12 months from the point when it started
- After one year the condition will be excluded – even if no treatment has been given
- Financial limits will apply
Accident Only Cover
- Cover your pet for accidents only
- Excludes cover for any type of illness