Out of Hours Emergency Vet in Wincanton
We are committed to providing all our clients with a full Emergency Vet service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
OUT OF HOURS, CALL 0845 4505506
Always call before travelling to our Wincanton surgery so we can prepare our team and any equipment or medication for your pet’s arrival.
Calling our branch surgery numbers out of hours will give you the above out of hours emergency number
LOCATION: Southill Vets, The Surgery, Balsam Fields, Wincanton, Somerset BA9 9HE
Daytime telephone: 01963 33226
Try to keep calm so you can be the most help to your pet.
Animals pick up on human emotions so if you are stressed, it can make them more stressed.
You will also need to give information to our team, carry out their advice, and transport your pet to our clinic.
Call us straight away for advice and our team will let you know if you need to travel to our Wincanton surgery immediately, or if a daytime appointment is the better course of action.
Not all pet health emergencies come from obvious trauma and open wounds. The conditions below also require emergency veterinary treatment:
- Acute severe lameness
- Animal bites & stings (snake bites, insect stings near the eyes or airways, bites from other pets)
- Breathing problems
- Eye problems
- Flystrike in rabbits & guinea pigs
- Loss of appetite or thirst (rabbits & guinea pigs especially)
- Opens wounds with significant blood loss
- Significant weakness or collapse
- Swallowing hazards (toys, food, socks, string etc.)
- Swollen abdomen or retching (particularly in large dogs)
- Poisoning from plants, foods, drinks, and other toxic substances (some poisons can be ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin)
- Trauma such as road traffic accidents, falls, or crushing injuries
- Urination problems (particularly in male cats)
- Vomiting and/or diarrhoea for more than 24 hours, especially if depressed
If you are concerned about your pet’s condition, even if the problem isn’t on this list, contact us right away.
Out of hours home visits
Whilst our Out of Hours team at Wincanton have in-patients to care for, they cannot leave the premises to do home visits out of hours. If your pet is very unwell or has a life-threatening injury, we advise you to contact a pet taxi, or ask a friend or neighbour to bring your pet to us quickly so they can receive treatment without delay.
Emergency contacts within normal hours
Depending on the emergency, you may be asked to attend our Wincanton or Gillingham surgery where we have extensive diagnostic and surgical facilities.
Our team will advise what is best when you call – please make it clear that it is an emergency, and you will be offered an appointment on a priority basis. We will do our utmost to attend to your pet as quickly as we can.
Normal office hours (Wincanton): 8.00am – 6.00pm
Wincanton Surgery: 01963 33226
Gillingham Surgery: 01747 835333